Wednesday, May 21, 2014

MAY 21 JOB 15-17


Job 15-17

Let’s give it another whirl. Eliphaz, Bildad and Zopher have each had one opportunity to “comfort” Job; let’s give them another. Today, we begin with Eliphaz the Temanite. Eliphaz was the name of Esau’s eldest son, who is also called a “chief of Teman.” If not the same person, it shows that Job was written in the Patriarchal era, when such names and places were common.

Eliphaz begins his second attempt at “comfort” by calling Job “windy” and “full of unprofitable talk,” and worse: “condemned by his own words.” (Job 15:1-6) All God asks, Eliphaz says, is a repentant heart, but you insist on defending yours! No one is righteous before God! And you, like all the unrighteous, run in “distress and anguish.” (Job 15:24-26)

Job’s response is contained in Job 16-17. He’s had enough! For just a moment, I can imagine him turning the tables on Eliphaz’ words: “Miserable comforters are you all! Shall [your] windy words have no end?” (Job 16:2-3) Not only is God against me, so is my “company!” They amass against me! I’m their target! My “friends” scorn me! Though my prayers are pure (Job 16:17). 

As Job concludes his words to Eliphaz, he sinks to his deepest degree of discouragement. With both God and people arrayed against him, the best he can hope for is death. “Where then is my hope? Shall we descend together into the dust?” (Job 17:15-16)

When one has sunk so low, where will they find hope? Maybe Bildad’s next word will get us there…inadvertently.

Your brother of the Word,
Pastor Gary

No comments: