Tuesday, May 20, 2014

MAY 19 JOB 8-10

2nd BLOG after surgery!

Job 8-10

After Job’s initial complaints and questions, Eliphaz “ventures” a word with him. “You’ve given people counsel in such situations, now it’s your turn to receive it.” 

In Job 4-5, Eliphaz says much that is good and right. Here is some of it in my paraphrase: None of us stand perfect before God, and the trouble we experience is proof of it. In fact, the trouble itself is God’s reproof. “Despise not the discipline of the Almighty.” (5:17b) Once you’ve learned from this discipline, the Lord will bind you up!

In Job 6-7, Job says, in so many words, “You’ve got it wrong. I’ve really done nothing to deserve all this! If any of you can make me understand my sin, I’ll shut up! If this is the way God treats those who serve Him faithfully, I am without hope (7:6).

In Job 8, Bildad takes up the baton. He says: If you’d just admit your sin, and seek God’s mercy, you’ll find forgiveness, release, joy and laughter once again! Have you forgotten how this works?

In Job 9-10, Job, says: “You don’t get it, do you? God is mad at me and I have nothing to confess to Him. We’re at a stalemate! I need an arbiter! (9:33) God! Why did you let me be born, if this is the way of things? If I’ve sinned, show me! If I haven’t, help me!”

I wonder what the third guy will say.

We’ll find out, tomorrow!

Your Bible brother,
Pastor Gary









No comments: