Wednesday, October 29, 2014

OCTOBER 29 JOHN 9 - 12

October 29, 2014

John 9-12

I have a half-written musical somewhere in my files based on the John 9: the story of the Man Born Blind. I started and never finished it. Someday, I’d like to get it done and present it. I imagine the drama of a man receiving such a miraculous healing, then being threatened, questioned by the authorities and eventually kicked out of the synagogue. As awesome as his healing was, it is even more awesome when Jesus finds the young man and asks if he believes in the Son of Man (a code phrase for Messiah). The young man says, “Who is he, sir? Tell me so that I may believe in him!” Jesus responds like this: “You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking to you!” Isn’t that wonderful?

In chapter 10, Jesus speaks to his disciples in the mode of a Good Shepherd caring for his sheep. We find two more “I am’s” here: “I am the gate (or door) for the sheep” and “I am the good shepherd.” By the end of the chapter, the Jews are trying to kill Jesus, once again.

John 11, found nowhere else in the gospels, is the account of the raising of Lazarus from the dead. During the course of this story, Jesus says very clearly to Martha: “I am the resurrection and the life. He, who believes in me, though he dies, yet will he live.” (v. 25). One might wonder why Jesus weeps at Lazarus’ tomb; surely he knows what he is about to do. But let’s not forget that we weep, too, even though we know our loved ones live with Christ. Jesus was entering into our grief. This miracle only worsens Jesus’ rift with the Jewish leaders.

John 12 introduces us to the week of the passion. Jesus is anointed by a grateful Mary, Lazarus’ sister, then rides into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday (John is the only gospel writer to mention “palms”), and then Jesus is introduced to some Greeks! This flips a switch in our Savior. He says, “The hour has come...”, meaning, the hour of his suffering. It’s almost as though, the Gentiles’ interest in him was a sign: It’s time to give my life as a ransom for many!

Tomorrow, we enter Jesus’ final 24 hours.

Your fellow traveler through the New Testament,

Pastor Gary

No comments: