Monday, June 2, 2014

MAY 31 JOB 40-42

Job 40-42

GOD COMMANDS CENTER STAGE

Yesterday, I wondered: what affect will these questions have upon Job? At the outset of today’s reading, we get an answer. After two chapters full of rhetorical questions, God says, “It’s time for the one who argues with God to answer God!” (Job 40:2) Job has enough sense to say this (my paraphrase): “How can I answer? I am of no account. I’ve said too much already. I’m covering my mouth!” 

This may have been an appropriate response; it’s certainly a humble one, but God wants more and presses on. There follows two more chapters of rhetorical questions and statements; they must have seemed an endless bombardment to Job. This time they seem a bit more to the point, such as: Will you even put Me in the wrong? Will you condemn Me that you may be in the right? Can you draw out Leviathon with a fishhook? Can you put a rope in his nose? Will you put him on a leash? Then who can stand before Me? Who has first given to me that I should repay him? 

Job’s second response (Job 42:2-6) shows how far God wanted to push him. The first four verses of this second response repeat and intensify the humility in Job’s first response. I have uttered what I do not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know (Job 42:3b). But, by the end, Job says this: Therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes (Job 42:6). 

Now, Job is—for the most part—over. But what about the “friends?” What about Job’s losses? God instructs the three “unwise” men to ask Job to pray for them, which Job does. Once Job had prayed for his friends, God goes about the process of restoring Job’s fortunes through the grace gifts of loved ones, a restored relationship with Mrs. Job, ten more children (7 boys and 3 beautiful girls!) and many godly generations. When Job died, he died “an old man and full of days.”   

What do we learn from Job? Though it’s certainly not wrong to ask God questions, we cannot always expect to hear the sort of answer we’re looking for. In the end, when God appears on the scene, he does not answer even one of Job’s questions. By presenting to Job His majesty, power and presence, God might be saying, “Here I am, Job; am I enough for you?” If I am, repent!

Tomorrow, we begin the Psalms!


Your brother in the Word,
Pastor Gary

No comments: