Friday, May 16, 2014

MAY 16 JOB 1-3

Job 1-3

It’s the Friday after my surgery, but once again, I am writing this blog beforehand.  

We begin the book of Job today. Two days after my surgery, I’m wondering if I’ll be feeling a little like Job. FIVE TIMES in Job 3, Job asks the question, “Why?” Will I be asking the same question when this day arrives? You know, “Why did I do two at once?” things like that. I’ll let you know. In the meantime...

Reading Job should actually be giving us “chronological whiplash.” Most agree that the book of Job dates takes us back to the time of the Patriarchs: Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Some say it’s a short story. I believe that, though it is an incredible piece of literature and a powerful philosophical treatise, it is a factual account. Why? Both the Prophet Ezekiel (Ezekiel 14:14,20) and James, the brother of Jesus (James 5:11) refer to Job as if he really existed.

In the first two chapters, we find just enough narrative to get it: God has allowed Satan to play havoc with God’s servant, Job. He suffers the loss of property, possessions, seven children and his health. His bitter wife says, “Curse God and die,” but Job does not. Two key verses from these first two chapters are Job 1:21 and Job 2:10. Read ‘em; they’re great. 

Three of Job’s “friends” come to comfort him, and, thankfully, they say nothing for seven days. In chapter 3, Job interrupts the seven days of silence with his painful lament. Job 3 reminds us: it’s OK to question God and complain to Him about our afflictions. He’s got broad shoulders; He can take it!

Your fellow traveler through the Word,
Pastor Gary

No comments: